If your thoughts used to be worth two cents (inflation adjusted from the days when people paid a penny for your thoughts) what are they worth now?
After all, two cents in cash exchanges will now be rounded down to nothing.
Obviously we need some innovation in trite expressions:
- All that glitters is not gold – Now it’s called bling.
- Born with a silver spoon – Who uses silver cutlery?
- Heart of gold – Maybe platinum is better now.
- Pay the piper – I don’t know any pipers.
- Diamond in the rough – Diamonds are now a dime a dozen.
I lament the loss of the penny. Its a sad statement of the centsless impact of inflation. Will I now have to offer you more than “a penny for your thoughts?” And will that make those thoughts truly more valuable, or just more expensive?